Michael’s compositions have been presented worldwide. Here is a fairly comprehensive list of specific venues and events:
- July 21st, 2018 – Michael’s “Crystal Verse”, a visual music composition, was presented at 2018 NYCEMF, which was held in Manhattan, New York City. The festival took place at the Abrons Art Center at 8PM.
- NYCEMF 2017 Michael’s Visual Music composition “Apparitions” was presented at the 2017 New York City Electroacoustic Music Festival. The concert was presented in the Playhouse at the Abrams Art Center on Saturday June the 24th at 8:30 PM.
- Michael’s Visual Music piece, “Pixelated Planes” was presented at the Fall of 2017 DISIS concert, on Decenmber 7th in the Cube at Virginia Tech.
Michael presented an exhibit/concert in the Cube in the Moss Art Center at Virginia Tech on Friday, October the 14th, 2017. The event was titled “Imagined Realities” and was based upon the notion that we are creating the realities we are experiencing. It consisted of:
- An exhibit of 10 new 60″ x 48″ oil paintings completed during the summer of 2016
- 3 fixed media (music only) compositions
- 3 Visual Music animated compositions
The oil paintings were exhibit throughout the entire day in the lobby of the Cube. The music was diffused over the ~150 speakers in the Cube creating an awesome 3d musical environment. The visual work was projected upon a huge screen. Here is the Concert Flyer.
- NYCEMF 2016 Michael’s Visual Music composition “Reflections and Refractions” was presented at the 2016 New York City Electroacoustic Music Festival. The concert was presented in the Playhouse at the Abrams Art Center on Saturday June the 18th at 8:30 PM.
- ICSC 2015, the International Csound Conference, took place in St. Petersburg, Russia on October 2 – 4. Michael’s “Sidereal Sonata” was presented on an 8.1 sound system.
- NYCEMF 2015 International Festival was held at the Abrons Art Center in NYC. The week long festival took place June 22 – 28. The entire “Amber Orbs in White Infinity” (~ 18 minutes in length) was be presented in their 3D spatialization hall.
- Mikautadze Dance Theater – Abstractions in Motion was presented at the IPFW Williams Theater on May 15th and 16th, 2015. The fabulous MDT dancers moved in counterpoint with sections one and two of “Amber Orbs in White Infinity”. It was presented in 4.1 spatialization.
- SEAMUS 2015 National Conference was held at Virginia Tech March 26 – 28. Michael was honored to have sections 5 and 7 from the “Amber Orbs in a White Infinity” project presented in “The Cube”. The music was diffused over 96 speakers in the brand new, utterly incomparable, facility at VT. It is one of the few venues in the world of its kind. The sound was HUGE!!
- Mikautadze Dance Theater March 6th, 2015, 7:30 pm at the ArtsLab Blackbox Theater in Fort Wayne. The fabulous dancers, under the expert guidance of world renowned dancer and choreographer, Elizabeth Mikautadze, performed a structured improvisation to sections 1 and 2 from the “Amber Orbs in a White Infinity” project. The music was diffused over a 3D sound system. Here is an article about the performance in Fort Wayne’s News Sentinel.
- Feb 2015 – The online publication New Music World, which is one aspect of EMF, is featuring Michael’s recent release, “Amber Orbs in a White Infinity”. Go Here to check it out.
- June the 5th through the 8th, 2014 – Michael was in New York City for the NYCEMF. On Saturday, the 7th, his “Immersion” was presented in concert at 1:30pm and again at 10:30pm in the Abrons Experimental Theater. The original 4.1 channel version was diffused over a 3D, 16.1 channel, sound system!!
October 25, 26, 27, 2013 – Csound International Conference – Michael’s work was presented on several levels at the International Csound Conference, which was held at Berklee College of Music in Boston.
– His composition “Immersion” was presented in a concert.
– The Horizontal Blue installation was setup there.
– Michael also gave a 45 minute presentation on the processes involved in a recent project Horizontal Blue (the LHC Sonifications).
View the Conference Schedule or visit the Conference Website for more information.
- September 9th, 2013 – “Voices From Another Dimension” was presented at Montevideo, Uruguay at the Estudio de Música Electroacústica. Many thanks to Luis Jure for presenting the piece. The concert was titled “Concierto Octofónico”. Here is a link to the poster and some photos from the event.
- August 14 through 17, 2013 – Michael was invited by a distinguished international jury to attend the prestigious international event, the Toronto Electroacoustic Symposium 2013. There he presented a 45 minute lecture/recital on the subject of the processes involved in the making of Hadronized Spectra (the LHC Sonifications). Michael’s lecture/recital was published in the form of a paper on CEC’s eContact! site.
- A Taste of the Arts 2013 – Michael’s Horizontal Blue Exhibit/Installation was presented at ArtLink in the Russ Oettel classroom. Artlink is located at 300 East Main Street Fort Wayne, IN 46802
Three Rivers Festival Installation – The Sights and Sounds of Numbers – Computer Generated Music and Images took place in the square in front of the Arts United Center at 303 E. Main Street in Fort Wayne on July the 18th, 2013. It was an informal three hour concert presentation of many of Michael’s computer generated music compositions from the past 15 years. It also featured 12 large scale computer generated images. This outdoor event utilized a 4.8 surround system (yes 8 sub woofers!!). There was a newspaper article and an online interview in Fort Wayne’s News Sentinel. Go here to see the official poster. Below are some photos as well.
- Sweetwater Installation & Concert – Michael presented Horizontal Blue, a day long exhibit/installation at Sweetwater Sound in Fort Wayne, Indiana. The exhibit opened Thursday June 6th, 2013 at 9am and ran until 7pm. That evening at 7:30 he presented the concert premier of his recently released Hadronized Spectra (the LHC Sonifications) project.
- The Voice in the Forest project, music, video and paintings, was presented at the Lotus gallery for six weeks during July and August of 2012.
- Espace, video by Sylvia Pengilly – music by Michael, was presented at SEAMUS 2011 – January 20-22, Miami University, Coral Gables, FL
- Event Horizon, music and video, was presented at SEAMUS 2011 – January 20-22, Miami University, Coral Gables, FL
- Starscapes and Landscapes Concert – October 14, 2010 Sweetwater Sound Fort Wayne, IN Several pieces from two of Michael’s CDs were presented. Go here to see the program.
- Organic Mechanism was presented at SEAMUS 2010 – April 8-10, St. Cloud State University, St. Cloud, MN
- Cygnus Loop was presented, along with a talk, at a Harvest Moon Concert – October 2009 at Concordia University in Montreal, Canada. To read lecture notes go here.
- Tunnel Maze was presented at SEAMUS 2009 – April 16-18, Sweetwater Sound, Ft. Wayne, IN. Michael was also honored in acting as the conference host for this event. It was a fantastic experience!
- Anaphasics (3rd movement) was presented at SEAMUS 2008 – April 4-7 at the University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT
- Release! was presented at SEAMUS 2007 held at Iowa State University on March 10th 2007. Also presented at this conference was a visual music collaboration between Sylvia Pengilly and Rhoades titled, Unperceived Dimensions.
- The NYU New Music Ensemble performed a beautiful interpretation of Leading Turbulence in New York City on April 30th, 2007.
- Release! was presented at IMMARTS’ TechArt06 Exhibit, which was be held May 27th, 2006 at Northern Illinois University at Dekalb, IL.
- The Outer Edge of Possibility, a visual music collaboration between Rhoades and Sylvia Pengilly, was presented at SEAMUS 2006 held in Eugene Oregon at the beautiful Oregon State University campus.
- Michael’s paper Azimuth – Score Synthesis Techniques was recently published in the Journal SEAMUS Volume 18 No. 1, Spring 2005.
- Mental Aperture was presented at SEAMUS 2005, which was held at Ball State University in Muncie, Indiana in April of 2005.
- Azimuth was aired on Acoustic Frontiers May 24th, 2004. Ralph Hopper is the host for this program from Ottawa, Canada which airs every Monday from 10 am – 12:00 pm on station CKCU 93.1 FM.
- Madman’s Prayer was presented at the Electric Rainbow Coalition Festival, at Dartmouth College in Hanover, NH. The festival took place August 22 and 23, 2003.
- Energies @ Work was presented at Synthese 2003 held in Bourges, France on June 13th, 2003.
- John’s Door (door to the john) received airplay January 23rd, 2003 Radio Nothing – the “Cold Day in Hell” edition. It is broadcast on 98.5 FM – WPKN, Bridgeport, CT. The host is Rod Richardson.
- Composition Zeta (section one) was presented at SEAMUS 2003, which took place March 13, 14 and 15 in Tempe, AZ at Arizona State University.
- Composition Zeta (section one) was aired on Steve Bradley’s radio program, art@radio (WMBC), on October 1st, 2002.
- Composition Zeta (section one) receive airplay on the Tom Lopez radio program, FOLDOVER , on Aug. 26th, 2002. FOLDOVER airs every Monday from 4pm – 5pm on WOBC 91.5 FM in Oberlin, Ohio.
- Composition Zeta was aired on Acoustic Frontiers July 22nd. Ralph Hopper is the host for this program from Ottawa, Canada which airs every Monday from 10 am – 12:00 pm on station CKCU 93.1 FM.
- Parallel Ordinates, John’s Door (door to the john) and Reflections @ Death’s Door, from Michael’s CD, Influences of Luminosity, received airplay on the Tom Lopez radio program, FOLDOVER , on Feb. 11th. FOLDOVER airs every Monday from 4pm – 5pm on WOBC 91.5 FM in Oberlin, Ohio.
- Energies @Work and John’s Door (door to the john) received airplay November 28th, 2001 on Steve Bradley’s radio and internet program Art@Radio.
- Three Whirling Dervishes was programmed August 1st, 2001 on Musica Nova, a weekly Electroacoustic radio program broadcast on 102.7 FM from Vancouver BC, Canada.
- John’s Door (door to the john) was performed at John ffitch’s “The Door” concert in the Caturla Hall of the Roldan Theater in Havana, Cuba. The concert took place September 22 during ICMC 2001.
- The Dragon’s Dream was performed at the V National Symposium on Digital Arts, 2001 held in Cordoba, Argentina on August 22, 2001.
- Energies at Work and Adrift were presented on June 24th, 2001on the radio program “Inner Space” broadcast on 100.5 FM in Zagreb, Croatia. Vladimir Jovanovic is the host.
- Beckoning the Hunter was presented by Anne-Marie Holland at the University of Glasgow On February 13, 2001 as her Sound Diffusion Concert and again in April of 2001 as a Seminar Piece.
- Beckoning the Hunter was presented at the IV National Symposium for Computer Music and Image held in Cordoba, Argentina in September of 2000.
- Energies at Work was presented in June of 2000 in a historic building called the Colonial Cabildo of Cordoba. The concert was a blend of Instrumental and Electroacoustic music.
- Energies at Work was a featured piece at the SEAMUS Y2K Conference hosted by the University of North Texas in Denton on March 10 of 2000.
- Energies at Work was a featured piece on the SEAMUS 1999 Audio Clip Web Concert the week of November 7 – 14, 1999.
- Energies at Work was aired October 11, 1999 on WOBC 91.5 FM the Oberlin College radio station. The program FOLDOVER , which airs every Monday from 3pm – 5pm, is dedicated to Electro-acoustic music.
- Energies at Work was played in July of 1999 in Crested Butte, Colorado at a concert called “Music you have never heard before” which was hosted by the University of North Texas.